Fire and Rescue Recruitment Process
Thank you for your interest in becoming an employee of Manitowoc Fire and Rescue. This webpage is intended as a resource for those seeking information about a career with the City of Manitowoc as a Firefighter. Please use the information below to learn more about our process and job qualifications.
- Candidates complete an online application.
- Potential candidates must meet the minimum qualifications with or without an accommodation to be considered for employment with Manitowoc Fire & Rescue and to proceed to the next step in the recruitment process.
Oral Exam/Panel Interview
- The Oral Interview Panel typically consists of three panelists from the Fire Service, EMS, and Human Resource professionals. They measure candidates' skills in verbal comprehension, verbal expression, reasoning, fluency of ideas, and originality.
- Candidates who pass the Oral Exam/Panel Interview will be placed on the eligibility list, which remains in effect for twelve months.
- This eligibility list will then be used by the Fire Chief to fill Firefighter vacancies.
Chief's Oral Interview
- The Fire Chief will review the top ten candidates who score the highest from the eligibility list for the first vacancy. The Fire Chief may interview some or all candidates from the eligibility list. Upon completion of the interviews, the Chief selects the candidates in which he will extend a conditional offer of employment. The conditional offer is contingent upon an extensive background/reference check, employment verification, and successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination, chemical/drug screen, and psychological evaluation with favorable ratings. Upon completion of required testing, employment verification, and background/reference checks, the Chief presents the final list of proposed hires to the Police and Fire Commission (PFC) for their approval.
- Upon approval of the PFC, employment as a probationary Firefighter begins on a pre-determined date.