The Department of Public Infrastructure plans, budgets, administers, and directs Public Infrastructure activities for the City of Manitowoc. This includes all phases of municipal engineering, public construction projects, and the operation and maintenance of any/all infrastructure within the public right-of-way as well as on City owned property within the City of Manitowoc. In 2011 the Department of Public Works & Engineering was merged with the Parks and Recreation Department. In January of 2012, Building and Grounds was also added to the Department. This allowed the City to realize cost efficiencies through consolidation of management and supervisory personnel. The division was renamed the Department of Public Infrastructure in December of 2012.
This department is multi-faceted with five (5) divisions consisting of a mix of technical, clerical, professional and skilled personnel. The four divisions are:
- Engineering and Storm Water Management
- Maritime Metro Transit / Capital Projects
- Recreation, Senior Center and Aquatic Center & Zoo
- Building & Grounds / Fleet
- Street, lift station, marina, sanitary and storm water maintenance and DPW/Parks Building & Grounds