City ADA Paratransit
Federal law requires that Maritime Metro provide curb-to-curb paratransit services to persons who cannot utilize available bus services. In other words, individuals who are unable, because of a disability, to use Metro’s bus service may be eligible for the program.
Please keep in mind that any condition which makes traveling to or from a boarding / disembarking location or riding on a bus route system more difficult or less comfortable but not impossible is not a reason for paratransit eligibility.
Individuals meeting any of the following criteria will be determined ADA paratransit eligible as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA):
- An individual with a disability who is unable to board, ride, or disembark from a fully accessible Maritime Metro bus.
- An individual with a disability who is able to board, ride, or disembark from an accessible bus, however, an accessible vehicle is not available on the regular bus system.
- An individual who has a specific impairment-related condition which prevents the individual from getting to or from a boarding or departure location of the regular bus system (this relates to environmental or architectural barriers under public control, which prevent individuals getting to or from accessible transportation).
Maritime Metro Transit will determine eligibility upon review of a completed application form containing information regarding the applicant’s functional ability. Metro requires a functional assessment and reserves the right to require a medical physician's opinion prior to determining eligibility. You will be notified in writing of your eligibility status within 21 days of Metro receiving your fully completed application form. If paratransit service is denied or if a determination of conditional eligibility (for example, seasonal eligibility) is made, notification of our appeal process will be included with your letter.
Hours of Service
Metro’s paratransit service is available only when the regular Maritime Metro Transit buses are operating. Your trip origin and destination must be within ¾ mile of a fixed bus route. Paratransit service is available on weekdays from 5:00 AM to 8:00 PM and on Saturday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Paratransit service is not available on Sundays or on the same major holidays that the bus does not run (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day).
If you require special accommodations, please notify the carrier when scheduling the trip. As an example, if you have an over-sized wheelchair, notification would be required to assure the appropriate vehicle is dispatched. The carrier will try to accommodate your specific requests but cannot make any guarantees.
Note: Our current provider can safely accommodate most mobility devices. Please consider how safely your device can be transported when you purchase it. For example, some scooters can be top-heavy when people are seated on them in transit.
The cash fare/co-pay for transportation is $3.00 per ride ($6.00 round trip). Transportation tickets are available at the following locations:
- Metro Transfer Center, 915 S. 11 Street, Monday-Friday, 8a-4p
- Manitowoc Senior Center, 3330 Custer Street, Monday-Friday, 8a-4p
- Two Rivers Senior Center, 1520 S. 17th Street, Monday-Friday, 8:00a-4:30p
Tickets may also be purchased via mail. If you wish to purchase tickets via mail, please send your request to:
Maritime Metro Transit, 915 S 11th Street, Manitowoc WI 54220. Be sure to indicate the number of tickets you would like, your name, mailing address and telephone number, along with payment for the tickets.
To obtain an application, please go to the Application page.
Scheduling a Trip
To schedule a trip, contact Assist-To-Transport at 682-8820. Notify them you wish to schedule a Maritime Metro Paratransit trip. To assure quick and easy service, you are asked to have the following information easily accessible when making your reservation:
- Phone number
- Paratransit I.D. number
- Exact address and entrance you wish to be picked up at
- Time you wish to be picked up
- Destination address
- Whether or not you are ambulatory or are in a wheelchair
Maritime Metro Transit contracts with Assist-To-Transport for its paratransit services. Assist-To-Transport can be contacted at (920) 682-8820.
You should be ready at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time and must have a valid ADA Paratransit Eligibility I.D. Card. Upon arrival for pickup, the driver is required to wait only five (5) minutes before departing. Drivers will assist you from the curb into the vehicle; however, if you pay extra for door-to-door service, drivers are not required to assist you with steps.
Reserve Your Trip
We encourage you to call early to secure a trip at your desired time. It may be necessary to negotiate your pickup time on occasion; however, you won’t be required to schedule your trip more than one hour before or after your desired time.
ADA requires that next day service be provided. Assist-to-Transport offers an after hours reservation line, (920) 682-8820, to accommodate this requirement. After hours trip requests can be made on the reservation line voicemail system. Individuals who request after hour trips will be contacted by Assist-to-Transport to confirm the trip as soon as possible, however at least 1 hour prior to the requested trip time.
In an effort to provide all individuals the necessary transportation, please be prompt in notifying the carrier of any cancellations . You are required to notify the carrier of cancellations at least sixty (60) minutes prior to the scheduled pickup time. An established pattern or practice of missed trips or “no shows” may lead to sanctions being imposed. You will be notified in writing of our “no show” policy prior to sanctions being imposed.
- Be sure the driver is ready to assist you before approaching the lift or ramp.
- Follow the instructions given by the driver.
- If you use a wheelchair, make sure it is properly tied down and the brakes are on.
- If you use a power wheelchair, turn off the power after it has been secured.
- Always wear your seat belt.
Attendant/Companions If you require a personal care attendant (PCA), one will be allowed to travel with you at no additional charge. Your need for a personal care attendant must be certified during the eligibility evaluation. In addition, one companion will be allowed to travel with you but your companion must pay the same fare. Additional companions may be allowed to travel with you on a space available basis. Arrangements for additional riders should be made when the trip is reserved. Your additional riders must have the same origin and destination, as you do, in order to be eligible as stated above.
Be an Involved Customer
- Be sure to let us know if your status or address changes.
- Register compliments, comments, suggestions, or complaints with us at (920) 686-3560 or write us at Maritime Metro Transit, 915 S. 11th St, Manitowoc, WI 54220.