Beginning on December 19, 2018 violators who are reported to the City will no longer be sent written notice of the sidewalk snow shoveling violation. Property owners, renters and persons in charge of each and every parcel of real estate in the City of Manitowoc are reminded that all snow and ice must be removed from the sidewalk in front of or adjacent to their property to the full paved width and length within 24 hours of the end of the storm. Any property found in violation will be addressed by the City or its contractor without prior notification by the City and the abutting property owner will be assessed.
The minimum assessment for the first offense will be $300, second offense will be a minimum of $600 and the third and subsequent offenses will be a minimum of $900 over a period of three (3) years.
The City of Manitowoc asks all residents to comply with the snow and ice ordinance to promote pedestrian safety.
We would also like to remind residents of City Ordinance 7.210 that prohibits owners, renters, or persons in charge of real estate from depositing snow and ice from private property, such as parking lots, sidewalks, or other private property including residences, into any City street or alley. Anyone depositing snow and ice from private property into City streets or alleys may be issued a citation by the Police Department that could result in a fine of up to $200.
7.210 Snow and Ice on Sidewalks and Roofs.
(1) Removal. It shall be the duty of the lessee, occupant of the first or ground floor or person having charge of a building, or, if there be no lessee, occupant or person having charge, then the owner of each and every parcel of real estate in the City of Manitowoc, abutting or bordering upon any street, avenue, highway or other public place, to remove or cause to be removed all snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of or adjacent to such premises to the full paved width of such sidewalks. Any newly fallen snow or newly formed ice which is on any such walk at 6:00 a.m. of any day shall be removed from such walk by 8:00 p.m. of the same day; provided, that where footways or sidewalks have not been paved or duly established, snow and ice shall be removed to a width of not less than four feet from that portion of the street or way which is used in common as a footway.
(2) When to Use Ashes, Sand, Etc. In case the snow or ice on the sidewalk shall be frozen so hard that it cannot be removed without injury to the sidewalk, the lessee, occupant, person having charge or owner of every parcel of real estate shall within the time specified in subsection (1) of this section cause the sidewalk abutting or adjacent to such premises to be strewn and to be kept strewn with ashes, sand, sawdust or some other suitable material and shall, as soon thereafter as the weather shall permit, thoroughly clean such sidewalk.
(3) Deposit of Snow or Ice on Streets and Waterways Prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit, or cause to be deposited, any snow or ice onto any street, alley, walkway, lake, river, pond, or other public place in the City of Manitowoc.
(a) Obstruction of Streets or Walkways. Any person depositing snow or ice from private property on any street, alley, waterway, or walkway, or causing or ordering the same to be done, shall be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $50.00 nor more than $200.00. The Director of Public Infrastructure shall be responsible for the creation and administration of policies and enforcement of same.
(4) Removal of Snow from Roofs, Guards. The lessee, occupant or person having charge, or, if there be no lessee, occupant or person having charge, then the owner of any building so located, abutting upon or near to any public street or place that snow or ice may fall from the roof thereof into or upon such street or place, or upon the sidewalk thereof, shall cause all snow and ice to be removed from such roof within the time specified in subsection (1) of this section, after the same shall have ceased falling or forming, or provide suitable guards so that the ice or snow shall not be discharged upon the sidewalk.
(5) Duty of Police. It shall be the duty of each police officer, in case the officer finds snow and ice have not been removed from sidewalks and roofs or in case of the neglect of the person charged with such duty by this section to spread sand or other substances upon ice or snow when the same cannot be removed within the time required by this section, immediately to proceed to enforce said section.
(6) Duties of Director of Public Infrastructure. It is hereby made the duty of the Director of Public Infrastructure or person performing the duties of that office to cause each such sidewalk mentioned in subsection (1) of this section to be cleaned of snow and ice or properly sanded or sprinkled with an equivalent thereto, in each case where the owner abutting the premises has refused or neglected to perform the duties in respect thereto rendered on him by subsection (1) of this section and the prevailing cost of the same to be assessed against the owner.
[Ord. 13-120 § 1, 2015. Prior code § 7.21]
To report a sidewalk not shoveled, go to our website at www.manitowoc.org and click on REPORT A CONCERN or contact the Streets and Sanitation Division at 920-686-6550.
Follow the City of Manitowoc on Facebook for up-to-date information on City activities. Receive information via text message or email about emergency alerts or activities in the City by visiting http://www.manitowoc.org/. Click on the Notify Me button and follow the instructions.