The City of Manitowoc receives numerous requests to install Pedestrian Crossing Treatments every year. In order to clarify City Policy and provide a procedure for the request of these treatments, the City has created the following guidelines.
In an effort to treat all requests uniformly, and to be mindful of the use of government facilities and resources, the City will commit staff time to review requests for Pedestrian Crossing Treatments to ensure that their installation would have a positive effect upon the safety of our community.
In order to submit a request for the installation of pedestrian crossing treatments, the following steps must be completed:
- Read the City of Manitowoc Pedestrian Crossing Treatment Guidelines
- Retain a consultant, or ensure that a qualified professional fills out the Crossing Location Evaluation Worksheet
- Submit the completed worksheet, a map of the area in question, and a letter explaining the background of the request to the City Engineering Department, located at City Hall, 900 Quay Street, Manitowoc WI.
- Promptly comply with any requests for additional information from City Staff.
- Requests will be reviewed and considered by the City’s Capital Allocation Working Group (CAWG), which is composed of a diverse group of department heads and managers, representing all facets of the City of Manitowoc, and are responsible for monitoring and / or allocating disbursement of capital expenditures.
- If the CAWG group agrees with the request, recommendations are then forwarded on to the Common Council for final approval.
Goals & Objectives
Providing safe and efficient pedestrian facilities is a goal of the City of Manitowoc, and the decision to travel as a pedestrian is partially subject to their perceived ability to safely and efficiently cross streets along their travel route. With this mind, the City of Manitowoc has established the crosswalk guidelines document to provide criteria, procedures, and policies to guide the installation of crossing treatments.