Evergreen Cemetery is a beautiful, historic, city-owned and operated cemetery consisting of 79 acres with an additional 25 acres a few blocks west of its current site on Michigan Avenue. More than 29,000 people have been buried at the cemetery since 1852. Burials are performed year-round with the cemetery averaging 174 burials per year.
People visiting from throughout the United States are impressed with the beauty and tranquility of Evergreen Cemetery. This is due, in part, to the 6,000 flowers which are planted annually by staff, as well as the thousands of flowers planted by survivors of loved ones. The cemetery also contains over 1,100 trees from more than 40 varieties. Some of the more rare varieties for this area include Japanese Gingko, Purple Beech, Camperdown Elm, Buckeye and Ironwood. Because of the abundant supply of food and the protected environment, the cemetery has become a sanctuary of sorts for a variety of wildlife. The cemetery is a beautiful place to maintain a healthy lifestyle with many people using the cemetery's 3.5 miles of roadway as a peaceful route for walking, jogging or bicycling.
Top 8 Reasons to Choose Evergreen Cemetery
- The cemetery is locally owned & operated. The cemetery will not be purchased by an out-of-town corporation.
- The cemetery has a history and longevity of serving the Manitowoc community. The cemetery has had the same owners since 1852.
- The cemetery has a beautiful, park-like setting.
- A variety of burial or interment options are offered.
- Monuments can be purchased from any vendor as long as they meet cemetery guidelines.
- Gravesites can be personalized with upright or flush markers and decorations as long as they meet cemetery guidelines.
- Evergreen Cemetery has upfront pricing. Prices are posted on the website for everyone to see and will not change unless approved by the City's Common Council.
- The City of Manitowoc will repurchase spaces under the conditions listed in the cemetery's Rules & Regulations.
Sign Up to Receive Evergreen Cemetery News Flashes by Text or E-mail
Sign up to receive important notices (such as cemetery clean-up dates) for Evergreen Cemetery by text or e-mail by clicking here. Enter your e-mail address in the box and select Sign In. If you want to receive text messages, enter your phone number and select Save. Then, scroll down to the News Flash area, find Evergreen Cemetery, and click on the envelope to receive e-mail notices and/or the phone to receive text notices.