Entering a Plea

How to Enter a Plea

The Manitowoc Municipal Court does not accept any plea over the phone. You may appear in person on your initial appearance date and time. You may have an attorney appear on your behalf, either in person on the initial appearance date and time, or in writing, prior to the initial appearance date.

Entering Pleas in Writing

You may enter a plea in writing, personally, prior to your initial court appearance date. This written notice can be delivered to either:
The Manitowoc Municipal Court / Police Department
910 Jay St.
Manitowoc, WI 54220

This notice must contain your full name, current address, citation number, and the court date on which you are scheduled. You can plead guilty, no contest, or not guilty.

No Contest & Guilty Pleas

If you plead no contest or guilty, the court will accept your plea on the initial court date and give you up to 60 days, without question, to pay your fine. You will not receive any further notice, however, you must pay your fine within that 60 days to prevent any further alternative penalty. No Contest/Guilty Plea Form

Not Guilty Pleas

If you plead not guilty, your plea will be entered on your initial court appearance date, and you will be assigned a pretrial time to meet with the assistant city attorney on a future date. You will be notified by mail of the date, time, and place of that meeting. Not Guilty Plea Form