PurposeVariances are meant to be an infrequent remedy where an ordinance imposes a unique and substantial burden.
Where there are practical difficulties, or unnecessary or particular hardship in the way of carrying out the strict letter of the ordinance the Zoning Board of Appeals shall have the power in passing upon appeals to vary or modify any of the provisions of the ordinance relating to:
- Construction of
- Structural change in
- Equipment or alteration of buildings or structures
- Use of land, buildings or structures
To qualify for a variance, an applicant has the burden of proof to demonstrate that all three criteria defined in state statutes and outlined below are met.
- Unnecessary hardship
- Hardship due to unique property limitations
- No harm to public interest
For additional information regarding these criteria please view the variance application instructions.
Variance applications shall be filed on or before the last Tuesday of each month prior to the month of the meeting.
- Variance Application
- Variance Application Instructions
- A processing and publication fee of $300.00 is due at the time of application
The Zoning Board of Appeals meets as needed on the third Tuesday of the month at 5:15 PM in the Lower Level Conference Room at City Hall.