It’s spring cleanup time at the City of Manitowoc’s Evergreen Cemetery. The Cemetery Division asks your help in clearing all winter decorations in order to help maintain Evergreen Cemetery’s park-like beauty. Lot owners are respectfully asked to remove their winter decorations by April 15, 2022. Any items not removed by April 15th will be disposed of by cemetery staff. With over 29,000 graves to maintain, the support of families who observe the cemetery rules is greatly appreciated.
The cemetery grounds are open for visitors during daylight hours. If you are unable to remove items that you wish to keep by the deadline, contact the cemetery office at email@example.com or leave a message at (920) 686-3570 with your name, your phone number, and the names of the people buried on the gravesites where your items are located. Staff will remove the items for you and store them temporarily. You will need to make an appointment to pick up any items saved inside the building.
Some rules to keep in mind:
- Beginning May 15, 2022, new decorations or flowers may be placed on the gravesites.
- No perennials or plants which have thorns, thistles, or burs are allowed.
- Annual flowers can be planted in baskets, urns, or in the ground in a flowerbed. Any flower urns not planted for three consecutive years, which are not part of a permanent marker will be removed.
- The maximum size of a flowerbed is one foot away from the marker and to the width of the marker.
- No fences, above ground edging, gravel, lava stone, shredded bark or similar materials may be placed on gravesites.
- Dirt mounds in the flowerbed or by the marker are not allowed.
- Decorations that are made of glass or other materials that shatters easily are also not allowed.
- Up to two solar lights may be placed at each marker.
- If flags are placed in the ground, the cloth/plastic portion of the flag must be at least 12” above ground level.
The complete set of Rules & Regulations can be found on the Pricing & Policies page on the City of Manitowoc website at www.manitowoc.org/evergreencemetery. Search for burial locations using the online Burial Search program at www.manitowoc.org/evergreen.
Individuals can sign up to receive text or e-mail notices about the cleanup and other important items by visiting www.manitowoc.org/notifyme and following the directions to subscribe to Evergreen Cemetery News Flashes. Cleanup notices are sent two to three weeks prior to the deadline for removing items.
For additional information, call the Evergreen Cemetery Office at (920) 686-3570 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.